Friday, April 4, 2014

Week 5: Networked Workers

I oversee the Academic Technology unit at my institution and we are responsible for implementing and supporting technology and academic applications.  We administrate and deliver high-stakes, secure, computer-based exams; create learning modules, web conferencing, administer lecture capture, the learning management system and the medical school curriculum management system and database.  We also do work on grants and other projects that have an academic technology element to them and have help to create podcasts, vodcasts, online continuing medical education and even an online virtual patient module.  In short - we are all about using technology and being networked.


When a new staff member joins my unit they are issued:
  • 1 laptop – PC or MacBook depending on their preference.
  • 1 39 inch screen and a docking station for their desk.
  • 1 iPad
  •  1 iPhone
  • $200 voucher for apps, software etc.
     
While we all have our own offices, I and my staff are rarely in our office suite since we handle services across the Stratford campus which is comprised of 4 main buildings and several of us go between the Stratford and Glassboro campuses (30 minutes’ drive apart geographically) on a regular basis due to meetings etc.


We are in almost constant communication via text, email and phone in the course of a single day and while we do not officially ‘have’ to work beyond our 37.5 hours per week; all of my staff believes that being salaried, exempt personnel; means that we work beyond those 37.5 hours.

We are all pretty much in the regular habit of scanning our email, working and providing support to our customers on nights and weekends.  So we are definitely among the group of workers who are armed with the technological tools that can keep them connected to their jobs outside of normal working hours (Madden & Jones, 2008). 

Yesterday afternoon, due to a faulty transformer, the building that my office and the main classrooms are housed in had to be closed because it had no functional ventilation system, no elevators and reduced lighting.  We had a major exam scheduled however, and so we just relocated the class to another building with power and functioning Wi-Fi and my team and I were able to administer the exam as planned. 

So on the one hand, loss of power and Wi-Fi caused our academic building to shut down but the fact that our exam files are remotely hosted and administered meant that we could really have given the high stakes secure exam anywhere – even in a coffee shop – as long as we had access to the internet and Wi-Fi.



The opportunities or benefits of having a networked and connected staff are:
  • Flexibility in work location.
  • Cloud computing.
  • Ability to respond almost immediately to customers’ issues. 
  • Able to resolve 99% of our customers’ issues remotely.
  • Streamlining of workflow and processes.
  • Enhanced productivity because my staff do work beyond their 9-5 hours regularly.
      The challenges or cons of having a networked and connected staff are:
  
  •  Cost of equipment and data plans.
  • Must have staff who are tech-savvy.
  • Must have staff who can be managed remotely.
  • Will not work with staff who are of an '8 and skate' mentality.

      As a unit, we actually have more recognition and visibility even though we aren’t actually sitting at our desks all day – in fact, we are more visible because we aren’t sitting in our offices all day.


Having a unit with networked personnel provides opportunities for us to expand our services and to create new services for our customers’ as they start to engage in using technology and becoming more networked as well.  

For some of my fellow managers, the downside to the freely available internet access is that their personnel jump on social networks and waste company time at their desks.  I personally don’t care if they access the internet, but I have not found that to be an issue with my staff and as networked as they are; they do not frequent social networking or the internet during the course of their work day very much at all.  

During the power outage, our mail server went down and I actually asked my staff to jump on Facebook to facilitate the transfer of several zipped files – which we were able to do very easily.

In contrast to my very visible, agile, quick response unit; the Educational Media Services unit is not networked at all and they actually operate in quite the opposite way; their office suite is the hub for them and they require clients to come to their location for equipment check-out and to engage them in the various services that they offer.  

In my opinion, it is an inefficient, pre-networked era system.

Since I and my team are so visible within my institution and have developed a great service reputation, the CIO asked me to come up with a plan to change the Educational Media Services unit to function in much the same way.  This request from the CIO led me to write a proposal to my CIO to have the current Educational Media Services unit integrated into my unit. 
The proposal was reviewed and approved, and on 1 July 2014 after the current manager there retires; I will integrate that department into Academic Technology and get them aligned to a networked way of operating.

For me, being able to be networked has allowed me to lead my team from any location globally and it has definitely raised my unit’s institutional profile and reputation of service to our customers.  I have not yet experienced very many challenges within my job function brought about by the internet – except for non-access to it.  

The internet and being networked is what makes my team run and run successfully.

References:

Madden, M., & Jones, S. (2008). Networked workers.Pwe Research Internet Project, Retrieved from 

     http://www.pewinternet.org/2008/09/24/networked-workers/

16 comments:

  1. Pat,

    It sounds like your department is very efficient in keeping your institution operating at its technological peak.

    I have a several clarifying questions:

    How many staff in your department?
    What’s the mean length of employment?
    What’s the mean age of staff?
    What’s your turnover rate?
    Are there formalized exit interviews to inquire about reason(s) for leaving?

    I have some very specific reasons for asking. I re-read your post several times after noting the staff has a 75 hr work week expectation, assuming that they’re also on-call after hours. Could you explain for me?

    I have an extended family that is heavy in the tech field, Microsoft & Intel (mainly management), & a husband who is a senior analyst for a Georgia consulting firm (we live in WA). There is so much I appreciate about our abilities to network & be connected. The work schedules for these highly networked family members does not even begin to equate to 75 (or plus) hours a week, even with on-call expectations. The work-life balance is a topic that I’m quite interested in & I noted in my blog: “Madden & Jones (2008), using Pew Report results, let the networked workers describe their conundrum succinctly as, “…they cite the benefits of increased connectivity and flexibility that the internet and all of their various gadgets afford them at work. However, many workers say these tools have added stress and new demands to their lives.”

    Do you observe any challenges for the staff in balancing their professional & personal lives?

    Thank you for this example of networked workers at your institution. It’s given me a good deal of information to contemplate.

    Cheers.

    Madden, M. & Jones, S. (24 September, 2008). Networked workers. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2008/09/24/networked-workers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eileen,

    First – my BIG mistake – was that my staff work a 37.5 week and we have a bi-weekly timesheet that has us working 75.0 hours every TWO weeks and not one. Big, fat, huge typo – my apologies.

    To answer your clarifying questions:

    1. How many staff in your department?

    Currently I have 4 staff members in Academic Technology and I will be adding 3-4 more on 1 July 2014.

    2. What’s the mean length of employment?

    I have been over this department for about 7 years and I have not had anyone leave yet.

    3. What’s the mean age of staff?

    I and one of my staff are in our 50s. The other three are in their mid-30s to late-40s.

    4. My turnover rate has been 0.

    5. I do regular evaluations and if my staff were to leave, they would get an exit interview.

    I will tell you that two of my staff have applied at other institutions with my blessing and encouragement. Both were in the final rounds of their interviews and were offered the respective positions they had applied for – and both turned down the positions.

    I was very surprised and when I asked them why they didn't accept the positions; they both stated that they felt that I had provided such a positive environment that they chose to stay. Now the positions only provided a minimal jump in salary, perhaps 5% so that may also have been a factor.

    My staff probably work about 45-50 hours a week easily and I have had them approach 60 - 65 hours during really busy times with no complaints.

    I had 2 staff members on FMLA (one was a unit secretary and not my core team staff) when I became manager and the staff member had a terrible home situation and a terrible attendance record and attitude. The former manager described her as a borderline personality with a terrible temper, attitude and demeanor. This employee had her life/work balance totally out of whack and her personal drama often bled over into her work day - until I became manager and let her know that such drama was inappropriate and not going to be tolerated in our work environment. The 'problem' member and I had several very frank discussions and together we mapped out a workable plan for her to get back on track.

    Within a year of my being manager; both of these employees were off FMLA (by their choice) and my 'problem' employee is now my LMS administrator and she is truly exemplary - she rarely calls out sick and has a great work ethic, attitude and almost perfect attendance. She volunteers to take on additional work and duties and her life is on track and she is in a very good place right now.

    I personally encourage my staff to create a very defined line between their work and personal lives and I do even encourage them to only work their 37.5 hours and no more.

    When I see that their work/life balance is getting out of control, I do meet with them one-on-one to let them know what I am observing (changes in temperament, behavior, attitude) to see what I can do to help decompress them and I make sure they stop working excessively from home or on off-work hours.

    Thanks,

    Pat


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Eileen,

    I guess my sudden onset of severe allergies (and this is only our second nice day!) has my thinking clouded...

    The MAIN reason I was able to get my 'problem' staff member straightened out was that as manager of my unit and my ability to provide a flexible, networked environment for my staff; allowed the previously 'problem' staff member to get her issues sorted out and continue to work without fear of layoff or other punitive action.

    If it were not a flexible, networked environment, she would likely have had snowballing issues that would have resulted in her termination or resignation, of that I am positive.

    So this is a real-world case where having a networked environment caused ZERO downtime for me and my customers and allowed my staff member to sort out her personal issues.

    Now she actually prefers to be at work, in her office and while she does work off-site from time-to-time and off-hours regularly; she is most consistently at her desk.

    Thanks,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuckling here. Sigh of relief. Lol. Thanks for all of your responses.

    I'm so glad to here there's been such success in your department in managing work/life balance. You sound like you're a very attentive & empathetic supervisor. Most of the questions were related to the 75 hr statement. I would have questioned it, but you wrote it twice, so I tried to imagine how staff would ever be able to navigate such a challenge! Unfortunately, especially in crisis response in my field, on-call packing of a phone can lead to hours that are unpredictable & life-draining, all in the pursuit of assisting others in crisis. Before we know it, our employees need interventions & leave those positions. However, you sound like you have an engaged team & the longevity is impressive, especially in tech.

    Thanks for clarifying. Hope those allergies diminish some quickly. Great examples of how technology can be a positive asset in an organization. Take care.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks Eileen!!

      I do think that the more stressful the job, the higher the turnover - crisis response is a tough job and my staff certainly do not have that kind of stress or pressure in their positions.

      The rate of networked staff turnover might be a great study though!!!

      Thanks,

      Pat

      Delete
  5. Pat and Eileen,
    I was going to pursue the 75 hour work week topic, as well, and I was already thinking, I wonder if he meant every two weeks (we run on a biweekly time card as well). I was tracking my hours for a few months, out of curiosity, and did come close to that mark many weeks--when counting "gray areas" as work. For example, I am required to be at most of our school's sporting events, and a lot of the time, I'll have my family with me. I'm "at work," but I am recreating as well.

    As I said over in my own blog, technology is blurring the lines between work, learning, and play. For me, that's OK, because I have never been inclined to compartmentalizations that way, anyway. However, the ongoing challenge for all of us is to achieve and maintain a workable, comfortable, and appropriate balance.

    We bemoan the expanding work week and the encroachment of work, via tech, on leisure, and at the same time we bemoan wasted time and lost productivity from tech based leisure at work...I wonder if these balance out somewhat, and if what we are experiencing is just a sort of decompartmentalization...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decompartmentalization indeed - great description. I am responding from the cozy comfort of my bed at 2:32 am since I can't sleep - perhaps TMI, but a good example of my deciptmentalization and 24/7 access. So the question at this late (or early) hour is: should those individuals who are networked employees get higher compensation that those of our counterparts who are in the same position and pay grade who choose not to be networked employees? Should there even be a choice?

      Thanks,

      Pat

      Delete
    2. Ugh! Didn't catch the auto-correcting of decompartmentalization!!

      Delete
  6. That's OK, I've been having some deciptmentaliztion myself....and plenty of funny auto correct moments, as well.

    Compensation is a fascinating topic on its own, as I sidestep a direct answer to your question: in my field it is still (despite highly political and highly publicized reforms, or reform attempts) tied to "years and units." That means that some of my most effective (young, excited, recently and currently educated in best practices, hard working and...networked...) teachers are also the least well compensated. The problem is, that we have yet to agree on a better system. And the more years and units I get, the more that old system seems to make a lot of sense...

    And now, I am going to recompartmentalize a bit, because I heard there was complimentary coffee and Kuchen in the lobby. I hope you get some rest!

    Cheers,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - actually been up and swilling coffee since about 7:30 am...my Grandma Chadd used to make a killer kuchen...but then, she made killer everything LOL.

      Have a great rest of the weekend!

      Pat

      Delete
  7. Nice post and great articulation of effective application of networking. You have obviously built a good team...but what came through for me was that as a leader, you paid attention to your people first, technology second...and in doing so, accomplished your mission. Good lessons there!

    Good commentary as well. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - what a lot of managers in my institution unfortunately don't understand is that your team is what makes you look good and allows you to accomplish your unit mission - lessons learned and observed in the military and law enforcement.

      If you have good people and you take care of them - they will get the job done.

      Many of my peers and leaders above me, look down on 'staff' as minions of some sort and they truly have no idea why they have the personnel issues they have...it's unfortunate for all involved; and ultimately, for the institution.

      I am feeling 100% better thank you, I hope that your weekend went as well as it could and that you made it back home safe and sound.

      Thanks,

      Pat

      Delete
  8. Awesome Patrick! I have been and am constantly amazed at your technological skills. You are indeed an asset to your organization.

    Your job and experience is a great example of an organization that incorporates and embraces a networked system. As you mention, it all begins with the people you surround yourself with. You know your people and give them your trust to do their job and to not spend work time loafing off. It has paid off for you and has allowed you to absorb another department and increasing your visibility and showcase your abilities and leadership skills.

    Simply amazing!

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Robert but not sure I'm all that, and tech skills are something anyone and everyone can learn. (^_^)

      I do very much believe in taking care of my staff - cura personalis is something I truly try to embrace and practice in my life. I also treat my staff like professional adults - I am not a micro-manager at all and I hate to babysit adults so I do take care to choose staff that will 'fit' well with my team.

      My team actually chose their new team member and it was a case where we all agreed and it has worked out great. I am nervous about adding 4-5 more people to the group; two to three of them new...but hopefully it will work out well!

      Thanks!

      Pat

      Delete
  9. You sound like you really care about your staff and take actions to help them stay balanced.
    You work hard at this, with this highly networked situation, do you ever find yourself unable to "turn off" or stay away from work related material? How do you help yourself (you help other's a lot) stay in balance?
    The animations were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivette,

      I do very much care about my staff - I don't socialize with them or have lunch with them because I do think a bit of distance is good but my door is always open and they know that they can talk to me about anything.

      That said, I do enjoy them as people and we all often have non-work conversations during the day just to stay connected and to decompress all through the day.

      I will take time when I am home in Japan to completely disconnect for hours at a time but other than that, I will periodically scan my email throughout the day and night. It's become a part of my life. It doesn't stress me or take away from my life at all. Family and Friends always come first unless it's a work emergency. I make sure I enjoy my life throughout the day - even at work - so it keeps me balanced.

      My staff do get stressed a bit now and again and I just make them take time off and disconnect for a few days until they are rested and back in sync. They also have well-developed hobbies and de-stressors built into their lives - it is very, very important.

      Thanks,

      Pat

      Delete